Suffolk Roadsafe offers the following project to help older and mature drivers.
• A scheme for the over 60s which has been designed to help you keep driving safely for longer
• Have a driving assessment with one of our advanced trainers
• Come along to a free workshop to discuss driving on today's roads
GrandDriver workshops are for anyone over the age of 60, who would like to refresh their driving knowledge. We discuss how driving can become more of a challenge as we get older, and how to cope to keep driving as safely as we can. There will be the opportunity to refresh on the Highway Code, and to brush up on hazard perception skills. All workshops are free of charge to attend.
2024 Workshop Dates
Wednesday 6th March - Hadleigh
Wednesday 24th April - Leiston
Tuesday 14th May - Lowestoft
Wednesday 12th June - Ipswich
Tuesday 17th September - Framlingham
Wednesday 16th October - Sudbury
Wednesday 6th November - Newmarket
Book early to avoid disappointment!
Driving assessments are available for anyone over the age of 60, and living in Suffolk. These are carried out in your own car, at a time and place to suit you. Please contact us for more information and details of how to book.
Where are the workshops held?
They are held at various locations across Suffolk. Please contact us if you'd like a workshop in your local area.
How long does the workshop last?
The workshops last 2.5 hours, and include a break for refreshments.
What does the workshop involve?
This is an opportunity to update and refresh knowledge and discuss any areas of driving you have concerns about.
- We can help you feel more confident with roundabouts, driving on dual carriageways, driving in bad weather, keeping a safe space around your car, and lots more!
- We will also have on display a selection of simple adaptations you can make to your car to make driving more comfortable for you.
- There will be a fun quiz for you to take part in, and opportunities to discuss updates to the Highway Code.
- We make the workshops informal as possible and there will be plenty of refreshments
What if there isn't a workshop my area?
If you’d like to attend a workshop but there isn’t one planned in your area, please contact us. We often keep a waiting list and can plan extra dates if required.
Can you arrange a workshop for my group?
If you’re a member of a group and would like us to come and run a workshop for you, please get in touch.
How long does the driving assessment last?
The assessment usually lasts for around an hour.
Will I need to do any preparation for the driving assessment?
Before the day we will check your driving licence. All you need to do is ensure your car is ready to use, with enough fuel for the assessment, and make sure you have your documents to hand.
You’ll need your driving licence, your car insurance documents, and proof of your cars MOT, if applicable.
What will happen on the driving assessment?
Your trainer will focus on safe driving and coping strategies. You will be asked about the types of journey you make and offered guidance on any specific driving-related queries you may have. The trainer is there to support and guide you, so you can continue to drive safely. At the end you will receive a written report detailing all the things discussed on the session.