Enhanced Rider Scheme

The Enhanced Rider Scheme is a training course aimed at all motorbike riders.  It checks and improves your riding skills and confidence on the road.  As well as making riding more enjoyable and safer, completing the scheme can give you discounts on your motorbike insurance.

How the Scheme Works

• You'll first have a rider assessment with an expert trainer.

• You'll ride in different road and traffic conditions.

• The ride will be long enough for your trainer to make a good assessment of your skills - for most people this is 1-2 hours.

• If this shows you don't need more training you'll get a 'DVSA certificate of competence' straight away. Otherwise, you'll get personalised training to improve your skills and get the certificate at the end of your training.

• The DVSA certificate of competence gives you discounts with most motorcycle insurers.

• The type of training depends on what you need to brush up on - you might be offered all day courses  or shorter sessions.

More information on the Enhanced Rider Scheme | Book a session by email...


Where do you do the training?

We will meet at a suitable venue near you (usually a shop with nice coffee). Our ride may go into neighbouring counties, if that’s what you would like. For instance, if you would like to experience motorway riding, we would have to leave Suffolk to find a motorway*.

*Not on the Novice Sessions

What happens if the weather is bad?

It depends. If you want to experience riding in wet conditions, we will wait until the conditions are wet. However most people like to ride in the dry. If that’s you, we can usually wait until the weather report looks suitable. Training can’t take place in fog, black ice and standing snow conditions, for safety reasons. Training can’t take place in the hours of darkness.

Must I have a full licence?

No, although we can’t help you acquire a CBT certificate or full licence, it is a good idea for “L” riders who have a valid CBT, to take further training, even if they have no intention of acquiring a full licence. Your instructor will ask to see your licence, CBT Certificate (if required), proof of insurance and MOT certificate (if required) before you ride.

What will I be expected to do?

This is your day, we will do what you want to do (if legal). If you want to go on a motorway for the first time, we will plan for that. If you want to learn how to filter safely in heavy traffic, then that’s what we’ll do. The training is student centred. If at any time you want to stop or chat about how things are going, that’s fine by us. You will not be pushed to do anything you’d rather not do. All riding will  be done within the law, and posted speed limits!

Is my bike ok to use?

As long as it’s mechanically safe, and you have the correct documents (see above) we can help. From 50cc moped to the latest superbike, we have a course for you. Just make sure you have plenty of fuel in the tank!

What should I wear?

Obviously you must have a helmet by law. It makes sense to wear the best protective clothing you can afford, but you won’t be judged on your clothing. Remember to dress for the conditions. It may be colder than you think, and riding when soaked to the skin is not fun, and can be dangerous. Your trainer will be wearing high viz clothing, and is happy to explain why he wears it. If you choose not to, that’s your choice.

Scroll to top